CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

5.25.2010

Tina's Tuesday Tip: Use Mayo!

Today's tip is quick and simple: instead of using vegetable oil in a cake recipe, use mayonnaise! This will result in a lighter texture for your cake, and you won't taste a difference. For a healthier substitution, you can substitute vegetable oil for applesauce, but hey... it's a chEAT day ;) so go big or go home. And FYI: there's no substitute for chocolate!!!

Do you have a favorite baking substitution?

5 comments:

brittany marie davis

I have a friend here in Mississippi that is queen of making it healthy. Her sweets are so yummy and you would never know they have half the fat. I am now a believer that it doesn't have to be unhealthy to taste good.

Tina

Oooh bring me back some healthy treats!

sarana

do you sub for equal parts?

Tina

yes, equal parts sarana. great question!

Mel

I have never tried this before, but it is on my list of things to do...but I saw on BYUTV (Living Essentials), that you can substitute canned beans for oil in cakes. You just blend them up in your blender, add a little of it's own juice & voila...

They also mentioned to use dark beans in dark cakes & white beans in lighter cakes.

So if you ever get ambitious, let me know if it works.

I like the Mayo idea though & I'm sure if it were Best Foods, my hubby would be all about it.

Thanks for you tips. You are amazing.