CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

3.23.2010

Tina's Tuesday Tip: Whip It Good

If you've ever wondered how to get a lighter texture in your cakes/cupcakes just remember to Whip it... Whip it good! What I'm talking about is egg whites. This simple step will make your cakes light as air.

1) Separate your egg: You can do this by pouring the egg into your {clean} hand. The whites will slide through your fingers and the yolks will remain in your palm. Put egg whites aside.

2) Mix the cake according to directions with yolk

3) Whip whip whip the egg whites. I usually throw them in my Kitchen Aid on medium high for about 5 min. You can also use a hand mixer {this may take a while because the beaters are smaller thus incorporating less air with each rotation} or you can do it by hand with a whisk {I've never done this but I know it can be done with a lot of time, patience and elbow grease!} Keep whipping until it has stiff peaks, kinda like this:




4) Fold {think gentle stir} egg whites into batter. Using a the rubber spatula incorporate the egg whites by bringing the batter at the bottom of the bowl over the egg whites. Continue doing this until the egg whites are incorporated, no longer.

5) Bake, frost and enjoy your light as air creation!

4 comments:

sarana

yay! i always knew i had to beat air into it, but it makes sense to separate and then whip it good! lol.... thanks for the tip. my Bosch is calling me now.

brittany marie davis

whip it, whip it good. :) Very fun Tina.

Mel

Thanks for the tip. I came to your site after you gave me your card on Sunday. I love your site & love that you give helpful pointers. I am now a follower.

Ashleigh

I love this tip! Thanks :)